Thursday, October 1, 2009

Oh Egoli: First Week in Johannesburg

It’s the end of my first week in Jo’burg, and I am struck by this contented sense of relief to be back in southern Africa. The size of the city and all its highways are a tad intimidating, but my relocation agent has been drumming the geography into me consistently since day one, so I pretty much know where most suburbs are now. Everyone has been incredibly helpful and welcoming here, ranging from the kitchen lady at the office (who gave me an enormous bear hug the day I arrived) to relatives and friends of friends, and, less surprisingly, the car salesman. I’m staying with an ex-Oxford friend in Sandton in a modest complex with a lovely big garden. It’s sunny, the air is filled with blossom scent, and there are lots of birds – shrikes, parrots, robins, babblers, barbets, wood hoopoes, and more.

I’ve seen loads of accommodation options, and think I probably perplexed the Google-assigned property agent with my non-corporate leanings. Despite my wannabe-Bohemian tendencies, in the end it came down to the convenience and proximity of Lonehill up in the north near the office, albeit with its artificial ‘Wisteria Lane kitsch’ feel versus the older and more atmospheric Parkhurst with its streetside restaurants and cafes, which are quite unusual for Jo’burg and its shopping mall culture. I’ve opted for Lonehill in the short term, for the loft space and the upstairs terrace view, which will be awesome after the claustrophobia of London. Let’s see how it goes. My neighbours probably wouldn’t appreciate chickens and a beehive, but I should be able to do veggies and a solar oven on the terrace at least! I am looking forward to my crate arriving so that I can start decorating.

There’s been a lot of admin alongside just staying on top of the day job, but I have been out and about one or twice. Last weekend I spent Sunday afternoon on Freedom Square in Soweto, with a political analyst friend, listening to new candidates for the Constitutional Court being interviewed by the Judicial Services Committee. It was fascinating, and all the 'heavies' were there, including the Chief Justice, the Justice Minister, MP Patricia de Lille, and more. Although it was open to the public, there were surprisingly few people watching (40-50) and apparently virtually no security at all. I was struck by the relative informality of it. I was also struck by how the questioning was still weighed down by race -- I would have expected that ten years ago, but curious to find it still so prevalent.

This weekend I went out with friends in mixed and cosmopolitan Melville. It turned out to be a really entertaining evening, including a brief bar encounter with a group who only spoke sign language. The evening concluded with driving to a club up north with some buff Nigerians, with the
Jai Ho soundtrack blaring loud and on repeat. Unexpected yet fun. The latest good news is that I'm finally going solo to and from work, in a hired car. I only know two routes... but, as I like to say, a girl's gotta grow up sooner or later.

No comments:

Post a Comment